Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Anything Alexander McQueen (R.I.P)





So I think that Alexander McQueen is one of the most tragic losses in the fashion industry.
Lee Alexander McQueen was born March 17th, 1969 and as everyone knows he committed suicide on February 11th, 2010.

He had quite an interesting career, in my opinion. His first major accomplishment was an, apparently controversial, stint at Givenchy (current designer: Ricardo Tisci) from 1996, up until March of 2001. Apparently while there he did this runway show in which there were "car-robots" that spray painted cotton dresses as they went down the runway, which I find quite intricate.

McQueen's penultimate collection "Plato's Atlantis" is my favorite, and the top and bottom pictures (NOT the one with Janet Jackson who is wearing a dress, by the way, that I hate THOUGH it is McQueen), are examples from that collection. The shoes are called "Armadillos", and I love them. I think that they are perfect and, if done right, very wearable...well really only to events. Apparently he got ideas for this line because he was an "accomplished scuba-diver", according to wikipedia anyway.

Celebrities I have seen wearing his collection: Kristen Stewart, Salma Hayek, Anna Paquin, Drew Barrymore, Lady Gaga, Bjork, Kate Moss and so, so many more.

He really is someone who will be missed. I wonder what is going to happen to his comapny. Are they going to appoint a new designer? Or is it going to be like Margiela where there is a sort of group of designers, or whatever it is that they do.

Anyway, that's all for that. I love(d) McQueen, and if they do pick someone new I hope that they are really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment